The holidays are supposed to be a time of joy and cheer, and for many individuals, they are. For others, however, the winter months can be some of the most difficult out of the year. Rather than experiencing happiness and satisfaction, these individuals experience the “holiday blues”, which can cause depression, anxiety, and stress to manifest.
There are many reasons why someone may experience depression during the holidays:
- Time changes
- Lack of sleep
- Lack of exercise
- Increased alcohol consumption
- Unrealistic expectations of families and self
The “holiday blues” can vary in severity depending on the individual. Some may only experience a mild seasonal depression, while others may have to deal with more serious conditions. Regardless of how the blues manifest, there are sound strategies that you can utilize:
- Keep Active: Make sure that you set aside time for exercise during the winter months. Cold and dark weather can cause you to feel drowsy and discourage you from being physically active. Aerobic exercise has been shown to help combat depression.
- Know Your Patterns: Try to identify thoughts and actions that contribute to your depressive mood. Oftentimes, there is a pattern of thought and behavior that can cause your mood to plummet. Identifying your depressive triggers could make you better equipped to interrupt them when you’re experiencing holiday depression.
- Choose Family Time: Family time during the holidays are not always a relaxing or edifying experience. These scenarios can cause old emotions and conflicts to resurface. It’s important that you choose to surround yourself with family members who are positive and uplifting.
Contact Dallas Behavioral Healthcare Hospital
Dallas Behavioral Healthcare Hospital specializes in providing psychiatric stabilization and dual diagnosis treatments. We offer a variety of programs that are designed to help treat patients through a variety of proven methods. If you begin showing signs of severe depression, contact us today.
To learn more about Dallas Behavioral Healthcare Hospital, visit our About Us page.