Dallas Behavioral Healthcare Hospital’s Intake and Referral Department works to ensure that the admission process flows as well as possible for our patients and their families. Equally important is helping potential patients and their families to feel comfortable and knowledgeable about the hospitalization process.
If you are seeking care for yourself, a loved one, or a professional client, please give one of our intake and referral clinicians a call at 972-982-0897 to take a step toward healing. We are available by phone and in person 24 hours a day, 7 days a week including holidays.
What is an assessment?
At Dallas Behavioral Healthcare Hospital, our goal during the assessment process is for everyone to feel comfortable and informed. A licensed Intake & Referral clinician will ask about current concerns as well as past medical and psychiatric history. If applicable, any drug and/or alcohol abuse will be addressed. An assessment allows us to efficiently and effectively evaluate current symptoms so that we may identify a program and services which best meet the needs. A family member or friend may be present during the assessment process, as this may be helpful for assistance and support.
This assessment is not a psychiatric evaluation. Rather, it is to determine whether a hospital stay or some other type of service would be beneficial. Once the assessment is complete, our Intake & Referral clinician will discuss the recommendation and then make a determination about treatment options.
How do I schedule an assessment?
An Intake and Referral professional can be reached toll free at 972.982.0900. The clinician will take your call, ask a series of questions, and determine if a face-to-face assessment is the appropriate next step. Our goal is to schedule the assessment as soon as possible, and same day assessments are available.
When do I schedule an assessment?
If you are having difficulty at school, work or home due to mental health or substance abuse issues such as
- Suicidal/homicidal thoughts
- Self-harm behaviors
- Aggressive/threatening/assaultive behaviors
- Drug/Alcohol abuse
- Bipolar Disorder
- Hearing voices/seeing things others can’t hear or see
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
Or any other concerning behaviors, please call 972.982.0900.
How long do assessments take?
The time frame for an assessment varies, depending on the unique situation. In most situations, an assessment should take 30-45 minutes. If it is determined that hospitalization is the best course of treatment, two hours or less for the admission process should be expected.
Dallas Behavioral Healthcare Hospital contracts with a variety of third-party providers. For more information about managed care agreements or other financial arrangements, please call our Patient Care Center at 972.982.0900 or 972.982.0897.
- APS (American Psych Systems)
- BEACON HEALTHCARE
- CARE N CARE
- CIGNA HealthSpring
- FIRST CARE
- HEALTH FIRST
- HUMANA / LIFEsynch
- MOLINA HEALTHCARE
- MULTIPLAN / PHCS
- OPTUM / UBH
- SCOTT & WHITE HEALTH PLAN
- SECURE HORIZONS
- TEXAS CHILDREN’S HEALTH PLAN
- TEXAS TRUE CHOICE
- VALUE OPTIONS
Call to schedule a complimentary assessment 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 972-982-0900
It is our goal to provide the highest quality of healthcare to our patients. In order to do so, we have established some important guidelines to prepare for your stay.
- Please bring all prescription medications/herbal supplements with you or the contact information for your pharmacy.
- Please bring no more than 5 days worth of casual clothing for your inpatient stay. We have a no-cost laundry room onsite.
- It is requested that a patient bring all clothing items in 1 suitcase.
- Please notify hospital of sleep-related needs, such as C-PAP, oxygen, elevation of the head of the bed, egg crate or air mattress, incontinence supplies, etc., before admission.
- Please bring guardianship/custody/foster care placement paperwork, if applicable.
Items Not Allowed in Inpatient Areas
For the safety of our patients and staff, the following items are not permitted on the inpatient areas at Dallas Behavioral Healthcare Hospital:
- Electronic items (cell phones, IPODS, video games)
- Jewelry (wedding rings are allowed)
- Purses and wallets (Adult patients may keep $20 on the unit for vending machines; adolescent patients may keep $10 on the unit for vending machines)
- Any glass & metal objects (including underwire bras)
- Scarves, belts, shoe strings, and draw-strings
- Flammable items (matches, lighters)
- Drugs & alcohol
- Mouthwash, hairspray, nail polish remover, aerosol sprays (Basic toiletries will be provided by the facility.)
- Stuffed animals, blankets and pillows from home, and hoodie sweatshirts
- Clothing items with a negative/offensive message or revealing clothing
A more detailed list is available at the reception desk or the intake department. If there are any questions about the appropriate items to pack, please call the intake department at 972.982.0900 or 972.982.0897.